In Thailand, as in most countries, detox medications are controlled substances which can only be prescribed by and dispensed under the supervision of a licensed medical doctor.
Serenity Rehab's Medical Director is Dr. (Mark) Nattapatt Sukkhosawat, MD. Dr. Mark has been practicing medicine for 19 years. He graduated from the University of Chiang Mai Medical School, trained at Suan Prung Psychiatric Hospital, specialising in psychiatry and addiction medicine.
Regularly on site at Serenity Rehab, Dr. Mark oversees all medical needs of our clients, as well as detox as an outpatient from his clinic in town, or at nearby Kasemrad Sriburin Hospital. Kasemrad Sriburin is a private, full-service medical facility and the premier medical centre in Chiang Rai province.
Detox is never easy. However, under the supervision of Dr. Mark, clients will be made as comfortable as possible. The detox prescriptions will depend on what substances our clients have been using, and the degree of physical dependence.
Note: Serenity is not a medical facility, so any inpatient medical treatment needed will be done at the hospital, and when appropriate, on-site at Serenity Rehab as an outpatient, under the care of Dr. Mark.
Abstinence-Based Programme of Addiction Treatment
Serenity Rehab treatment is an abstinence-based programme. We believe detox medications can be useful in the initial stages of addiction treatment. We will only allow someone to stay with us if they share the goal of abstinence. Clients may remain at Serenity Rehab if they are on a quick reduction regimen. We do not allow clients to stay at the centre if they are planning on continuing taking detox medication, as a maintenance therapy, or for long-term use.
Medication and Prescriptions
Other medication that clients for their health, such as blood pressure medication, heart medication, etc., are fine, and we expect clients to take them as directed by their doctor.
Medication prescribed by the doctor will depend on your needs; for opiate detox he will often prescribe a short regiment of methadone, diazepam and tramadol. The goal will be for you to take only the required amount to keep you comfortable and pain free but still able to take part in the programme. The doctor does not believe in methadone maintenance therapy for most people, where people are put on methadone indefinitely, so with this in mind if methadone is required you will taper off quickly with the goal being to be completely clean and working on your recovery as soon as possible.
Alcohol Detox, Amphetamine Detox, and Stimulant Detox
For alcohol and amphetamines, we have often seen Dr. Mark prescribe diazepam, liver supplements, and sleeping pills -- for the duration absolutely necessary. Dr. Mark has treated detox from benzedrine, cocaine and crack, marijuana and synthetic marijuana, and methamphetamine.
Ambien, valium, and xanax addiction are now all too common, and Serenity Rehab has many clients who misuse these drugs. Dr. Mark has experience in treating addiction to these substances with an effective detox regimin.
Serenity Rehab has had many clients who struggle with addiction to opiates/opiods, including demoral, ketamine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, oxycontin, percodan, and vicodin. Opiate detox is an area of expertise for Dr. Mark.
Detox and Medication Terms and Conditions
- Standard detox related medication and medical visits are included in the programme providing the client is an outpatient under the care of Dr. Mark and residing at Serenity Rehab. (THB7,500 limit applies Apx. US$220) If your detox medications are more then this you will be responsible for the additional costs paid directly to the hospital or clinic. This is generally more then enough for most people. If you are on high doses of opiates/opioids or benzodiazepines it might cost additional.
- Medication and treatment for other conditions is not included, such as blood pressure medication, diabetes medication, anti-depressants, etc.
- In-patient medical care, either at a clinic or hospital, is not covered by Serenity Rehab and you will be billed directly by the clinic or hospital. (The vast majority of clients do not need any in-patient care.)
- Clients will be admitted to Serenity Rehab if their goal is complete abstinence from unnecessary mood-altering medication. Clients may not stay on methadone or benzodiazepines for the full course of treatment at Serenity Rehab.
- Even if prescribed by a doctor in the clients' home country, all medication taken at Serenity Rehab for detox must be approved by Dr. Mark.
Chiang Rai Medical Facilities - Kasemrad Sriburin Hospital
Chiang Rai has an excellent private, full-service hospital: Kasemrad Sriburin Hospital. Kasemrad offers emergency, psychiatric, detoxification, and a variety of other inpatient and outpatient specialties.
The proximity of excellent medical care, and the availability of Dr. Mark were important determining factor in choosing Chiang Rai as the location for our treatment centre.