One of the major concerns when people are considering getting help with their addiction is the Cost of Drug and Alcohol Rehab. It is also a reason for people to procrastinate and delay seeking addiction treatment in the first place. It is a fact that drug and alcohol addiction treatment can be expensive especially in Europe and America. Even an expensive facility however if it is effective becomes considerably more cost effective when you consider what will be saved on drugs, alcohol and all the problems that come along with it. In fact often times it is cheaper to go to rehab for a month and not buy drugs then continue using drugs for the time a person is in rehab. For example if someone has a $1,000 a day cocaine habit and goes to a $25,000 a month rehab they have saved money in the first month just by not using.
Ok a $1,000 a day habit is pretty extreme, however even if you're spending $100 a day on your drug of choice that same rehab program would pay for itself in well under a year, just in the money saved from not using, yet alone the increased quality of life and health that you will have after starting into recovery.
Canada & USA Cost of Private Rehabs
In the USA some low cost private rehab options can be as low as $7,500 per month and at the other end of the scale a luxury facility can cost as much as $120,000 per month depending on treatment duration, amenities, staff, etc.
Below are a few examples of some of the facilities that we were able to find out what they are charging, many don't list their fees since they want you to call to ask. I on the other hand like transparency and always like to have the fees right up there where everyone can see them.
- Hazelden's 30 day addiction treatment fees average out at $28,000 to 32,000 according to some reports as we have not been able to find the fees on their website.
- Cliffside Malibu according to TheFix charges $58,000 per month for a shared room and $73,000 per month if you want a private room.
- The Meadows in Arizona is listed as $44,000 for 5 weeks so with some quick math to make a fair comparison that would be $35,200 per month.
- Top of the World Ranch in British Columbia Canada, with tax, works out to $15,700 for a 30 day treatment program.
- Sunshine Coast Health Center, also in British Columbia Canada, charges approximately $16,000 for a shared room & $21,000 for a private room according to their site.
The Costs of Alcohol and Drug Rehab in Europe
In Europe, as well as the government facilities there is also a considerable number of private pay facilities and the price of treatment covers all ends of the scale from $20,000 per month all the way up to an insane $426,000 per month. I am not sure what you can do for someone to justify more then $15,000 a DAY!!!!
- The Priory, in South West London is one of the best known rehabs in the UK and charges around $30,000 per month according to the website RehabReviews.
- Nova Vida in Portugal; according to an advertising website is said to cost $20,500 per month for a shared room and $30,750 for a private room.
- Castle Craig in Scotland $21,000 per month.
- Paracelsus Recovery in Switzerland costs between $80,000 to $107,000 for a one month addiction treatment program. (As per exchange rates June 2015)
- The Kusnacht Practice also in Switzerland runs a program for only a single client at a time, but as expected that can get very expensive at $288,000 to $426,000 for a month.
Drug & Alcohol Rehab Cost in Africa
South Africa has long been a place to go for drug and alcohol rehab at a more affordable cost then North America or Europe. There is also an excellent facility on Mauritius, a tropical island off of Madagascar, with a full medical based facility equivalent or better then just about anything available in the world. The unique approach at the Mauritius rehab is that the program is not only designed by a UK qualified medical doctor but is also delivered personally by him. Very few rehabs in the world have full time Medical Doctors who are addiction specialists as your lead therapist. They also offer the Sapphire program which is a one to one program in a luxury oceanside villa with a full team of addiction specialists that come to you, offering a program designed specifically around your needs.
- Sanctuary Mauritius; a full medical approach with qualified doctors and Psychiatrists, the 28 day program is about $16,000
- Bethesda Recovery Homes, $25,500 for 30 days.
- Sapphire Recovery; A single client facility in a luxury beachside villa where the rehab and medical professionals come to you. $150,000 per month. Advertised as the world's most private rehab and it probably is.
- Stepping Stones Rehab Centre in Cape Town is on the very low end of the scale at only $5,500 per month.
Cost of Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Asia
Over the last 10 years there has been a number of drug and alcohol rehabs opening in Asia that are aimed at English speaking clients. It is an excellent option for people at a considerably lower cost. The treatment in some of the facilities in Asia is equivalent, or superior to centers in the West and most of the counsellors and therapists come from the very centers that charge $50,000 plus a month.
A good example of a center in Asia is Serenity - Thailand Rehab Center, which is a small 20 bed facility in the beautiful and unspoiled North of Thailand. I am somewhat biased as I work directly with this program. I have worked with a considerable number of center previously and prefer the small boutique programs like Serenity since I believe the personal relationship that is developed with the other clients and staff members in a small intimate center can drastically increase someones chances for lifelong sobriety and recovery. Also the costs at Serenity are a considerable amount more affordable then just about anything equivalent in the world. With a semi-private room costing just $4,900 for a 28 day program and a private room costing only $9,000 for the month.(At the time of publishing) The Serenity program offers everything that the larger centers do at a considerably lower cost and in a much smaller, more comfortable environment. You can check the current program fees here.
Also there are programs in the Philippines that are willing to accept Western Clients, however they are extremely basic and can easily have 5 people to a room. Costs however are around $500 to 1000 per week.
The Cost of Not Getting Drug And Alcohol Rehab
Something else that needs to be looked at when thinking about the costs of drug and alcohol rehab is the cost of not getting treatment when it is needed. Think about your life presently, you are probably reading this since you or someone you love is struggling with drug or alcohol addiction and your trying to figure out what to do.
If you don't get some form of treatment to help with your addiction you will still be struggling with the same condition tomorrow and the next day and the year after that. Addiction is progressive and will most likely only get worse, not better without some form of intervention. Your life is worth the cost of drug and alcohol rehab, since that is exactly what we are talking about, your very life! I believe every life is worth saving, it is the most precious thing in the universe. Whichever why you decide to get help with your addiction, just do it now!